Our vision for the curriculum
At Heybrook Primary School, we aspire to offer a rich, broad and ambitious school experience where children are inspired in their learning. Our curriculum is diverse, well sequenced and progressive. As a knowledge-engaged curriculum, knowledge sits at the heart of all learning given that it underpins and enables the application of skills. We have a strong emphasis on cross-curricular teaching in order to make the curriculum more meaningful and relevant to our children. Moreover, these links allow the children to build a persistent schema of knowledge in which they can contextualise and retain new knowledge. We know that reading and vocabulary are the key to social mobility and so we immerse our children in a wealth of high-quality texts, reading opportunities and language exposure.
Ultimately, our curriculum is designed so that all of our children can embody the four pillars:
Our core values
Academic knowledge and skills are fundamental to our curriculum here at Heybrook. Nevertheless, we have ensured that our curriculum is underpinned by our core values. We have built our curriculum around these values because these are the ideals we want our children to champion as empowered and responsible members of their community (both locally and globally).
These core values are interwoven across the curriculum. Alongside academic considerations, they are key to helping us design our topic focus, key questions, core text selection, assemblies and more.
We aim to:
- Inspire our children with a rich and engaging curriculum offer
- Offer a broad and balanced curriculum to all our pupils, regardless of background or achievement
- Ensure clear progression and academic rigour in all subjects
- Revisit key knowledge and skills to maximise retention
- Prioritise reading and vocabulary development as the drivers of social mobility
- Foster a love of reading and learning
- Instil a set of core moral values for our children to respect and live by
- Nurture confident, independent and resilient children who are well-equipped for later life
- Protect and develop our children's mental health, wellbeing and emotional resilience
- Offer a wide range of enrichment activities and experiences linked to the curriculum, as well as varied extra-curricular opportunities
The curriculum across school has been carefully mapped to ensure clear progression, breadth and balance. Please see below for details: